The area we now know as Bush Fair derived its name from a large gathering which took place in the area known as the Harlow Bush Fair. It is believed the fair took place annually in August or September and featured horses, cattle, livestock and other goods for trade. People visiting the fair could source produce that could not be found in local shops or markets. The fair would have lasted around ten days and welcomed visitors from surrounding areas and further afield.
New Town Development
The shopping centre and neighbourhood area of Bush Fair as we know it today was developed as part of the Harlow New Town development. Bush Fair was mostly built between 1955-1962 and was largely influenced by the governments desire for higher density areas. The shopping area was designed for pedestrians and followed a similar Z shaped plan that was in the Stow. A series of community focused buildings were included within the designs such as a Post Office, Community Centre and first floor restaurants.